It was my first real teaching assignment; I was long term subbing for a second grade teacher out on maternity leave. She had the typical traffic light behavior management system. While I wanted to keep things as similar to the way students had started the year as possible, I also needed to make my management work for me. With the traffic light system, student behavior is only addressed when something goes wrong. I wanted a more positive atmosphere. I wanted my students to be motivated to behave well intrinsically, because they wanted to; not because they were afraid of "moving their stick".
I introduced the word "classy". It stuck, and all year we discussed the ways we could be classy. The kids loved it, and it shaped my methodology.
This blog is going to be devoted to taking positive behavior management up a level; I want to put "class" back into the classroom.
Comments
Post a Comment